Developing Enterprise Leadership
Client: Publicly traded Healthcare company.
Services: Organization design, executive coaching, and team performance improvement.
The recently appointed Head of Strategy for a global Fortune 100 healthcare company inherited a team that had been operated predominantly as project managers of strategic initiatives sponsored by a decentralized leadership team of divisional and functional heads. As a result, the Strategy organization’s contribution to the broader enterprise had become increasingly marginalized. At the same time, the company’s new CEO wanted to have this team play a more prominent role in setting enterprise strategy and aligning the senior operating team. In light of new expectations, difficult decisions had to be made regarding organization design, leadership, and overall impact across the enterprise.
- Conducted a holistic leadership assessment, incorporating leadership personality and critical thinking assessments, review of critical leadership accomplishments and challenges, and 360 feedback to identify leadership strengths, weaknesses, and barriers to scalability.
- Audited organization structure against key stakeholder requirements and functional objectives, agreed on go-forward organization design criteria, and charted multiple options of future state design for CEO approval.
- Aligned and accelerated the Strategy organization’s leadership team to ensure alignment around team purpose, top priorities, and operating norms.
- Executive coaching based on assessment outcomes and worked against top development priorities, including prioritization, team accountability, and executive presence.
- Reorganized the strategy organization and made critical external hires to ensure a greater focus on providing strategic guidance and oversight across the organization’s four major growth engines.
- The CEO has increasingly turned to the head of the strategy for guidance and thought partnership resulting in greater confidence to lead the enterprise strategic planning.
- The executive leader of the team has had greater enterprise impact especially during the company’s strategic response to COVID-19.